Monday, August 26

Más aventuras de mi primero semana

Thursday we continued our Spanish intensive course, going over every grammar concept I have ever learned.  We took a breather on Friday and watched a Spanish movie titled "Adentro el Mar."  We left class feeling a little down because the film was so depressing.  Solution to sadness? Shopping along the streets of Madrid!  Lily, Alex, Kathleen and I decided to get off at a centralized metro stop to explore.  We found a great side street with some boutiques and an abundance of shoe shops.  After walking, we stopped for a late afternoon snack of Tortilla Española (egg and potato omlet), gazpacho and cervezitas (small beers).

Friday consisted of 4 more hours of Spanish class, followed by our first night out in Madrid.  Nightlife in Spain all together begins at midnight, more or less.  We met up around 11 to figure out what to do.  An abundance of street performers, (not to mention loiterers and pick-pocketers) swarmed the streets.  We decided to begin the night with a little taste of Sangría in the Plaza Mayor de España and made our way to an Irish bar called Dubliners.  The Spanish supposedly have a knack for Irish pubs and such. (All of these locations are right near my apartment in the Puerta de Sol).  Meeting a few Spaniards, I also came across the occasional Aussie.  All of which were amazed at this swarming mass of 15 or more American female students in their presence.  The night continued....until about 4 in the morning.  Once in bed, I knew I would sleep soundly.


Saturday I woke up around 10:30 and my señora was surprised and said her children never usually woke up until 1pm on weekends!  Around 2:30, all the students met at "La Paella Real."  Their business card read: "Los mejores arroces y Paellas de Madrid" (The best rice and Paellas in Madrid) which was the truth.  Traditionally, paella is eaten on Sundays but our large group limited us to a reservation on Saturday.  Three gigantic pans of paella later, the entire AU Abroad group was served and then topped off with postres (dessert): a three layer helado (ice cream).  After lunch we walked to the "Jardines de Sabitini," which border the Palacio Real (Royal Palace) all the way to the Plaza España.  A much needed walk to wear off my food coma.

Our giant pan of paella. The source of the food coma!
Elyse and I overlooking the Jardines de Sabatini.
Sunday morning I met up with some girls to walk through "El Rastro," a flea market that opens every weekend in Spain.  El Rastro consists of numerous jewelry selections, fedoras, artisan woodcarvings, tapestries, etc.  You'll even come across the occasion gas mask stand.  You can never be too prepared I suppose?  I returned to my apartment for "comida" with my señora.  "Comida" means "food," which is synonymous to the Spanish word "almuerzo," or "lunch."  Here it is their largest meal of the day.  I ate a delicious pasta salad alongside fresh baked salmon and was further force fed (Who am I kidding, I took it willingly) Straciatella gelato by my host mother. ¡Que delicioso!

A popular saying describing somewhat the diet of a Spaniard reads as follows:
"Desayuna como un rey, almuerza como un príncipe y cena como un mendigo."
"Eat breakfast like a king, eat lunch like a prince and eat dinner like a peasant."

After lunch, I napped (a rarity for me in the U.S.) and then made pre-dinner plans with my friend Elyse.  We decided to meet at "El Parque Retiro" for some exercise, being the abundance of paella, pan and pasteles needed to be worked off.  We enjoyed exploring the streets that led to the park from our houses, smelling the fresh roses in the public rose garden, as well as the stares of onlookers at two blondes for doing dips and push-ups on the park benches (bancos).

Monday in Spanish class, we walked to a nearby market.  You won't find your average Whole Foods around Madrid, but rather a giant warehouse with the freshest fruits, vegetables, meats and even your classic array of animal intestines. After class, we ate lunch and headed to a Flamenco dancing class!




  Here is a photo of my friend Elyse and I attempting to dance Flamenco.


This coming week I will be traveling through Tarragona, Barcelona and Mallorca; stopping for wine tastings, relaxing on the beach and of course taking time to appreciate the magnificent architecture and learn a little history along the way.


No comments:

Post a Comment