This week has gone by in a flash! I am excited to get into the groove of things, but find myself feeling like a high schooler. Not in terms of curriculum, but the HOURS spent in class! I have class Mondays from 9:30am to 5:30pm and Wednesdays from 9:30am to 7:30pm. Lucky me, Tuesdays and Fridays are off and I only have one class Thursday afternoons! (Confusing? Yes, but try sitting still for two-hour long courses) These are the sacrifices made for taking weeks at a time off from "class" to travel for, well, class!
Courses I am taking:
Mediterranean Politics (Right now we are learning about the Arab Spring and covering Libya's political history and Quadafi)
Mediterranean Art History (A lot of nude sculptures. The Greeks were obsessed with the human body no doubt. Numerous trips to the Prado and Thyssen included! This class is taught entirely in Spanish.)
Advanced Spanish Grammar and Composition (Currently learning to write law, medical and other documents in Spanish)
Mediterranean Seminar, which is 6 credits
For the seminar, we have three professors: Ramón Buckley, who travels with us around the Mediterranean and teaches and tests us on what we have seen. Did I mention he windsurfs at age 70? Professor Javier Moreno who gives us 80 pages of reading a night so I will leave it at "no comment" for now. I cannot forget Enrique (Keke) Menéndez who takes us on adventures throughout Madrid. (Yesterday, we had our first tour throughout the central plaza by my house, Puerta del Sol. I enjoyed learning about Madrid's symbolic Oso y Madroño Tree, or Bear and Madrono Tree. Did I mention the group opted for the tours to be in Spanish? I hope I'll come back fluent!)
Courses I am taking:
Mediterranean Politics (Right now we are learning about the Arab Spring and covering Libya's political history and Quadafi)
Mediterranean Art History (A lot of nude sculptures. The Greeks were obsessed with the human body no doubt. Numerous trips to the Prado and Thyssen included! This class is taught entirely in Spanish.)
Advanced Spanish Grammar and Composition (Currently learning to write law, medical and other documents in Spanish)
Mediterranean Seminar, which is 6 credits
For the seminar, we have three professors: Ramón Buckley, who travels with us around the Mediterranean and teaches and tests us on what we have seen. Did I mention he windsurfs at age 70? Professor Javier Moreno who gives us 80 pages of reading a night so I will leave it at "no comment" for now. I cannot forget Enrique (Keke) Menéndez who takes us on adventures throughout Madrid. (Yesterday, we had our first tour throughout the central plaza by my house, Puerta del Sol. I enjoyed learning about Madrid's symbolic Oso y Madroño Tree, or Bear and Madrono Tree. Did I mention the group opted for the tours to be in Spanish? I hope I'll come back fluent!)
![]() |
| A picture from my first week in Madrid next to the Oso y Madroño tree! I bought a silver link bracelet with the symbolic bears similar to one my sister has. |

No comments:
Post a Comment